زبان * خط * سخن * صفحه شخصی : ابوالقاسم آوند
True or False
1 ) ……… All types g social correspondence include eight parts .
2 ) ……… General arrangement of the different parts g a letter is referred to as “body” .
3 ) ……… Social letters are said to be informal .
4 ) ……… The writer’s address and the date form the heading .
5 ) ……… The heading is written at the top left-hand corner of the first page of the letter .
6 ) ……… The writer’s name is not included in the heading .
7 ) ……… When the letter is very informal , the address may not include date .
8 ) ……… A mare formal correspondence will need an inside address .
9 ) ……… The inside address is written at the top left hand corner of the letter .
10 ) ……… The inside address is two lines above the salutation .
11 ) ……… The writer’s name , his / her title , company or department and the sender’s address make up the inside address .
12 ) ……… Salutation is the equivalent of “Hello” .
13 ) ……… A comma follows the salutation an in formal correspondence .
14 ) ……… A colon follows the salutation in formal letters .
15 ) ……… You have to put a full stop after Mr. , Mrs. And Ms .
16 ) ……… Dear Madam “ is used when you write to a woman who is married .
17 ) ……… “Dear Mr. John Smith” : is right if you know whom receives your letter .
18 ) ……… The paragraphs of the body of the letter are double spaced .
19 ) ……… The division of the body g a letter into three parts is a common practice , even in short letters .
20 ) ……… The purpose of the letter is expressed in the opening paragraph .
21 ) ………Generally speaking , the middle part consists of a number of sentences or paragraphs .
22 ) ……… The purpose of the letter determines the length g the middle .
23 ) ……… “ Thank you from the bottom of our hearts” is a sample sentence used in the beginning paragraph .
24 ) ……… You should close your less formal letters with more formal sentences .
25 ) ……… There is a lot of variation among different writers regarding the arrangement of the body of a letter .
26 ) ……… Complementary close depends on the formality of a letter .
27 ) ……… “Respectfully” is used as a complimentary close in religious correspondence .
28 ) ……… “Very truly your” is used for companies.
29 ) ……… “Sincerely yours” , is used for political correspondence .
30 ) ……… If you begin a letter by using “Dear Madam”, you close it by writing “Best wishes” .
31 ) ……… In formal correspondence, your name and your title are included in the signature block.
32 ) ……… In a letter to a politician, you type both your name and your title in the signature block.
33 ) ……… “P.S.” is used when the writer decides to add something to the letter before closing the letter .
34 ) ……… On the envelope, it is optional to your write own address.
35 ) ……… On the envelope, the receiver’s name is the last line of the address.
36 ) ……… If the letter is mailed to a person within the country, the name of the country is not essential .
37 ) ……… It is preferred to write the address on the envelope all in capital letters.
38 ) ……… The floor, suite, and apartment number are not included on the envelope.
39 ) ……… Invitations and congratulations are letters of social obligation.
40 ) ……… Personal business letters are written to take care of what we need to do to live in society.
41 ) ……… “Complaints” is a letter of personal business.
42 ) ……… The abbreviation “R.S.V.P.” is Written when a reply is required.
43 ) ……… Letters of regret are written when you turn down an invitation.
44 ) ……… “Nothing could please me more than to join you for lunch on Monday” is a sentence to decline an invitation.
45 ) ……… An invitation to a church wedding does not require a reply .
46 ) ……… “We wish you all the possible joy and happiness” is a sentence which is to use in condolence.
47 ) ……… The best condolence message is brief and pompous.
48 ) ……… A handwritten letter of condolence can certainly express more sincere sympathy than a typed one.
49 ) ……… “You know you can always count an our affection.” is a sentence used in a friendly letter.
50 ) ……… The main purpose of writing friendly letters is to make people feel better.
51 ) ……… In a business correspondence, the month of the date should not be written in figures.
52 ) ……… The word confidential is used to indicate that only the recipient should open the letter.
53 ) ……… In salutation, neither first name nor initials are used .
54 ) ……… “Dear Gentlemen” is used to address the board directory in the
55 ) ……… The first paragraph of a business correspondence is usually appreciating the reader.
56 ) ……… “Yours faithfully” and “Yours sincerely” are mainly used in American correspondence.
57 ) ……… The reference initial (GG/jc) consists of typist’s initials and signer’s initials respectively.
58 ) ……… In your letter of complaint, you try to use passive and impersonal structures.
59 ) ……… A letter in which you ask the customer to pay the money he owes you is called letter of credit.
60 ) ……… This punctuation mark (&) is called “ampersand” .
Dear Anne ,
The best of ……… to you and Dick !
I heard the good ……… this morning and called George right away to ……. him . We think it’s wonderful , since we ……… think of two people more ……… to each other than you and ……… .
I know you’ll ……… be happy , ……… . Fondly , Peggy .
1 ) Create a situation and
produce a collection letter .
Put the following words and phrases in correct order .
1 ) I / you / Mr. Hold / It / me / your / was / of / and / to invite / and / appreciate / thoughtful / most / warmly / hospitality
2 ) I / I / you / Although / be / must / never / had / the / of / knowing / Harriet / Know / deeply / how / privilege / affected
موضوع مطلب :
هر هفته ده سوال زبان عمومی 1 ( هفته ی پنجم)
1. North American say that they want to ------pollution.
a. reach b. approach c. get into d. escape from
2. North Americans say that they want to ------crime.
a. get away from b. get off c. get on d. get up with
3. North Americans believe that life would be better in the -----, i.e. the area just outside the city.
a. rurals b. urbans c. suburbans d. suburbs
4.In some areas , there is a movement to the countryside-------millions of people are moving away from rural areas in other countries.
a. ;in contrast, b, ;on the other hand, c. ;otherwise, d. ,or
5. People who study population growth ----that by the year 2025, the population of the world would be more than 8 billion.
a. develop b. predict c. detect d. precede
6. There are several reasons ----this enormous population growth.
a. what b. why .for d. of
7. New methods of food production allow adults ----longer.
a. for living b. to live c. live d. living
a. sewers b. comforts c. wastes d. instances
9. These problems are ------, in other words, they are not getting better.
a. improving b. worsening c. overcrowding d. increasing
10. The answer to the problem is to -----where they live.
a. provide them with jobs b. provide jobs for them
c. provide jobs with them d. both a & b
موضوع مطلب :
General English 1
1) One controversial issue in science and technology is whether ------will negatively change or destroy the environment.
a. radiation b. tradition c. collection d. vegetation
2) Can DNA testing prove the----------or innocence of a murder suspect?
a. guilt b. imperfect c. impurity d. fault
3) ------people are arguing about controversial issues, technology continues to influence every aspect of every day life.
a. While b. Nevertheless c. However d. On the contrary
4) Some people -------activities social lives with computers.
a. carry on b. take in c. take up d. lead to
5) Through bulletin boards, they get ----people they might never meet in traditional ways.
a. to know b. knowing c. know d. to knowing
6) A graduate student may----more than 50 net friends.
a. make b. get around c. include d. find
7) A medical -----may study DNA to change the structure of a gene.
a. geneticist b. genetic c. genetics d. gene
8) But now, writing to communicate has been -----in electronic form, or e-mail.
a. coming back b. distributed c. delivered d. running
9) Computer technology has also helped -----a home easier.
a. make running b. to make run c. make to run d. to make to run
10) Many families use computers for everything. One example is keeping ---.
a. household b. chores c. homework d. housewife
پاسخ همه ی سوالات گزینه ی
موضوع مطلب :
General English 1
1. Television ------elderly people who can"t often leave the house.
a. benefits b. gets benefit from c. is benefit d. is beneficial
2. ------, there are several serious disadvantages to TV.
a. On the other hand b. Despite the fact that
c. In the meantime d. In other words
3. TV provides -----a pleasant way to relax.
a. with us b. us with c. us for d.for us
4. Many children ------at a TV screen for more than hours each day.
a. take a look at b. glance c. stare d. view
5. Another effect of TV on the human brain is that it seems-----poor concentration.
a. causes b. is causing c. cause d. causes
6. Another disadvantage of TV is that it often causes people to become ----their own lives.
a. dissatisfied with b. dissatisfied from
c. addicted to d. dependent on
7. -----many people, TV becomes more real than -----.
a. For/reality b. To/reality c. To/a habit d. For/a habit
8. Having viewed several thousand murders on the tube , the child might believe that there is nothing strange about----.
a. TV commercial b. violence
c. laziness d. a break
9. In "transatlantic", the prefix " trans-"means-----/
a. opposite b. against c. far d. across
10. In "transport" , the stem "-port" means----.
a. carry b. vehicle c. public follow
1) a 2) a 3)b 4)c 5)d 6)a 7)b 8) b 9) d 10) a
موضوع مطلب :
GENERAL ENGLISH 1
1. The experts hope to -----the modern world the secrets of longevity.
a. bring to b. bring up c. bring about d. bring for
2. In Hunza,men-----are still in good physical health.
a. in the age of ninety b. in the age of ninety years c. of ninety d. at the age of from ninety to one hundred
3. People in the Caucasus Mountains in Russia are also famous -----their longevity.
a. of b. in c. by d. for
4. The -----of Vilcabamba live until age 130.
a. inhibitants b. inhibits c. inhabitants d. inhabits
5. In Caucasus Mountains, there are amazing examples of very -----people.
a. long-living b. long-lived c. living-life d. lived-long
6. The diet of Vilcabamban people -----grain, corn and beans.
a. is consisted of b. is formed c. forms d. consists of
7. The people there consume -----calories that people do in other parts of the world.
a. less b. fewer c. much d. a little
8. A typical North American -----an average of 3300 calories every day.
a. takes b. gets c. takes in d. gets in
9. Although their lives are hard , the people do not seem to have the -----of city people.
a. worries b. effects c. influences d. conditionals
10. What will your -----probably be if you live to be 100 years old.
a. share b. purpose c. lifestyle d. defects
1-a 2-c 3-for 4-c 5- b 6-d 7-b 8-c 9-a 10-c
موضوع مطلب :
1) some idioms ------their corn into flour and made corn bread.
a. planted b. ground c. raised d. grew
2. Corn was taken to
a. spreads b. spread c. was spread d. spreading
3. Soft drinks are ------with sugar cane.
a. sweet b. sweetened c. sweat d. sweeten
4. Men ------care of their sheep noticed that the sheep stayed awake.
a. take b. taking c. took d. are taking
5. In 1963 , the UN helped ------an International Coffee Agreement.
a. introduce b. organize c. export d. purify
6. A peanut is a ------of beans and peas.
a. native b. relative c. tropical d. family
7. Christopher Columbus ------a long voyage across the
a. took b. made c. went d. traveled
8. The Museum of Science and industry has an excellent exhibit ------computers.
a. of b. on c. about d. in
9. Jane is very ------. She likes to do things for herself.
a. plentiful b. independent c. thoughtful d. industrial
10. Mary isn"t here now. Can I ------a message?
a. make b. take c. write d. put
11. He is ------to pass the English Course because he studies a lot.
a. nearly b. likely c. hardly d. largely
12. Hundreds of years ago, wild animals ------ over the continent of
a. managed b. ranged c. arranged d. raged
پاسخ همه ی سوالات گزینه ی ( ب) است.
پاسخ همه ی سوالات گزینه ی ( ب) است.
موضوع مطلب :
1. 90% of the people who------ lung cancer die.
a. take b. get c. make d. become
2. ------the world,women live longer than men.
a. Throughout b. Out of c. Instead of d. Contrary to
3. They breathe it ------their children and their wives.
a. in on b. on in c. off in d. out on
4. Children ------parents smoke have more breathing problems than other children.
a. whose b. which c. that whose d. when their
5. The rate of death is higher among nonsmoking women married ------smokers.
a. with b. by c. to d. __
6. The facts from ------show that smoking is bad.
a. resources b. sources c. research d. journals
7. Breathe deeply and relax ------having a cigarette.
a. instead of b. in terms of c. despite of d. in turn of
8. You should never------an animal.
a. separate b. harm c. compete d. limit
9. She missed her first class because she didn"t wake up on time. She ------.
a. overslept b. rose up c. lay down d. relaxed
10. The author"s ------was clearly expressed in the last paragraph.
a. opinion b. right c. degree d. cause
1. b 5. c 9. a
2. a 6. c 10. a
3. d 7.a
4. a 8.b
موضوع مطلب :